Mike Tyson makes BOMBSHELL claim about Deontay Wilder vs Anthony Joshua fight

BOXING legend Mike Tyson is well qualified to cast his opinion on the proposed heavyweight super-fight between Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder, having ruled the division with an iron fist during the peak of his powers.

Mike Tyson

Tyson became the youngest heavyweight champion of all time when he smashed Trevor Berbick in two rounds as a 20-year-old back in 1986.

The Brooklyn-born fighter went on to enjoy one of the most memorable careers in the sport’s long history – but the heavyweight division he left behind has ignited once again in recent years with the emergence of Joshua, Wilder and Tyson Fury.

Speaking on his podcast, Bite The Mic, recently, Tyson weighed in with his prediction on who would triumph in the battle between the two reigning champions.

“I don’t give him [Wilder] much of a chance,” Tyson explained.

“I just think Anthony Joshua does better with tall opponents.

“I saw him fighting a short guy [Takam] and he didn’t do that well with him, they stopped the fight real early.

“But with tall guys, like Deontay Wilder, I think he’ll do real well with them. Like he did with Klitschko.”

It comes after Matchroom boss Eddie Hearn revealed why Joshua is prepared to play hardball with Wilder during negotiations with his American counterpart.

Deontay Wilder ready to fight Anthony Joshua at Wembley this summer

Deontay Wilder has accepted Anthony Joshua’s challenge and “is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer” in a unification contest to decide the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world.

Joshua vs Wilder

The US fighter’s team are ready to begin immediate negotiations, Wilder’s co-manager Shelly Finkel confirmed on Monday, after promoter Eddie Hearn stressed the need to get the fight signed for this year.

The American fighter is prepared to accept a 60/40 split of the fight purse with the two camps having already broadly discussed a two-fight scenario, with the first contest most likely at Wembley Stadium and the second in Las Vegas or New York.

“We are really glad that Anthony Joshua said for the first time ‘I will fight Deontay next…’ and we believe he is a man of his word. Deontay accepts the challenge,” Finkel told Telegraph Sport.

Joshua had been quick to call out Wilder in the ring immediately after defeating Joseph Parker in Cardiff, where he claimed the unbeaten Samoan’s WBO title to go with his own IBF and WBA belts. Now only American Wilder, the WBC champion who is undefeated in 40 contests, stands in the way of the Briton unifying all the division’s belts for the first time in history.

Finkel revealed to The Telegraph that he will make contact with Eddie Hearn, Barry Hearn and Matchroom Sport this week, wanting to stress that Wilder, for whom he is co-manager with the influential Al Haymon, is committed to the contest. “We want to make it public that Deontay wants the fight, and we are prepared to come over, or meet here and get the deal done. Deontay is ready to sign and come to the UK to fight this summer.”

Eddie Hearn said on Sunday morning that there is a small window of opportunity before Joshua must defend three other belts against mandatory challengers. In response, Finkel, who has the authority to get the contest signed from the Wilder side, told The Telegraph: “We’re ready. Let’s do it. And anyway, unification fights always trump mandatories. A unification between Wilder and Joshua would push the mandatories back.

“Assuming it will be Wembley Stadium in the summer, we are ready, and if they are ready as they say they are, we want to get it done. We want the fight, they want the fight, the public wants the fight. There is nothing to stop it going ahead.”